Advanced Obedience class is perfect for you if your dog has successfully completed Beginner and Advanced Obedience and can fluently demonstrate the skills taught in those classes. This class is for you if:
- You would love to play frisbee with your dog in the park, but he doesn’t come when called.
- You’d love to go off leash hiking with your dog but he might run away.
- You are working toward an obedience achievement.
- You don’t take agility or other off-leash classes because your dog leaves you as soon as the leash is snapped off.
- Your dog is great until the distraction level increases.
- You want to compete in sports.
- You want to stay in school!!
Your dog will learn:
- Immediate response to cues under the highest level of distraction.
- Heel on Leash and off Leash: Get precision and duration in the Heel position. Work toward performance level heeling.
- Focus, Attention, and Engagement under distraction while off-leash.
- Food Refusal: Whether it’s food or another exciting object, your dog will learn to ignore things that are dropped or even tossed in her direction.
- RECALLS!!! At this level of training, you want off-leash hiking, frisbee in a field, group class for agility, or other off-leash sport, and your dog MUST recall from any distraction, including other dogs, people, even deer.
- Engagement, Engagement Engagement. Your dog will never leave you during an activity again!
- And More
You will learn:
- Planning and training for the In-Betweens and what that means. (If you’ve said, “My dog leaves me when the coach is talking to me.”)
- Advanced training skills and techniques.
- Reinforcement Strategies that will blow your dog’s mind!
- Examine how you may be inadvertently reinforcing behavior that you are trying to fix!
- Eliminating food rewards for known behaviors even under distraction.
- Safely walking your dog on a retractable leash. (Ya, we said that, LOL!)
Things to bring:
- LOTS OF YUMMY FOOD – different flavors not mixed together and cut up into small reward-sized pieces
- Efficient system for food delivery – ie, training vest, treat pouch, etc. Things that won’t work: Manufacturer’s bag, zip lock bag, containers, etc. Reinforcement MUST be on your person and available for easy and efficient access during each training exercise. No Exceptions.
- Long Line – at least 15 ft – NO Retractable leashes.
- Dog should be on a Flat Collar or harness. No choke collars, no head collars. Please call us if you use any other gear for your dog.
- Dog’s favorite toys, at least 2 AND a way to have them on your person – ie, training vest or kilt.
- Bowl for water
- Mat (yoga mat, towel, etc.)
- All skills in Obedience – Level 1 and Obedience – Level 2
This is NOT a beginner course.
NO REACTIVE DOGS.
If you are not sure if you meet the minimum requirements, please give us a call. If you enroll in Advanced Obedience and you and your dog are found to NOT meet the minimum requirements, you will be transferred to an appropriate class.
If you are competing in a sport and need help with that ONE nemesis thing, let us know! We can most likely include it in our class.