Off Leash Obedience is a level 3 obedience class that is perfect for you if your dog has basic obedience skills, but is not reliable when you take off their leash. This class is for you if:
- You would love to play frisbee with your dog in the park but he doesn’t come when called.
- You’d love to go off leash hiking with your dog but he might run away.
- Your dog can’t ignore other dogs. (NOT for reactive dogs)
- You don’t take agility or other off leash classes because your dog leaves you as soon as the leash is snapped off.
- Your dog is great until the distraction level increases.
- You want to be a Therapy Dog Team
This class will introduce:
- Off Leash Heeling
- Long stay
- Reliable WAIT
- Impulse Control under big distraction
- Reliable Recalls
- Send aways (to a mat or other destination)
- Engagement, Focus & Attention under distraction
- Leave that
Things to bring:
- LOTS OF YUMMY FOOD – different flavors not mixed together and cut up into small reward sized pieces
- Efficient system for food delivery – ie: training vest, treat pouch, etc. Things that won’t work: Manufacturer’s bag, zip lock bag, containers, etc. Reinforcement MUST be on your person available for easy and efficient access during each training exercise. No Exceptions.
- Long Line – at least 15 ft – NO Retractable leashes.
- Dog should be on a Flat Collar or harness. No choke collars, no head collars. Please call us if you use any other gear for your dog.
- Dog’s favorite toys, at least 2.
- Bowl for water
- Mat (yoga mat, towel, etc.)
- Successful completion of Family Dog Obedience I and II. If you completed obedience at another facility, please give us a call to see if your dog is ready for our Level III class.
- Reliable Name Response
- Marker Training
- Reliable Sit, Down, Hand Target, Stay
- Decent Leash Walking Skills
This is NOT a beginner course. NO REACTIVE DOGS.
Dogs that do not meet our prerequisites or are not appropriate for an Off Leash class will be referred to another class without refund or transfer of credit.