Off Leash Obedience is a level 3 obedience class that is perfect for you if your dog has successfully completed Obedience 1 and Obedience 2. This class is for you if:
- You would love to play frisbee with your dog in the park but he doesn’t come when called.
- You’d love to go off leash hiking with your dog but he might run away.
- You don’t take agility or other off leash classes because your dog leaves you as soon as the leash is snapped off.
- Your dog is great until the distraction level increases.
- You want to be a Therapy Dog Team.
- You want to stay in school!!
Your dog will learn:
- Sit, Down or Stand & Stay while YOU go out of site under any distraction.
- Polite Greetings while YOU talk to another person and their dog while your dog remains calm and focused on you.
- Heel on Leash and off Leash: Get precision and duration in the Heel position. Work toward performance level heeling.
- Focus, Attention and Engagement under distraction while off leash.
- Food Refusal: Whether it’s food or another exciting object, your dog will learn to ignore things that are dropped or even tossed in her direction.
- RECALLS!!! At this level of training you want off leash hiking, frisbee in a field, group class for agility or other off leash sport and your dog MUST recall from any distraction including other dogs, people even deer.
- Engagement, Engagement Engagement
- And More
You will learn:
- Planning and training for the In Betweens and what that means.
- Advanced training skills and techniques.
- Maximum use of Luring, Shaping and using props to get behavior.
- Reinforcement Strategies that will blow your dog’s mind!
- Examine how you may be inadvertently reinforcing behavior that you are trying to fix!
Things to bring:
- LOTS OF YUMMY FOOD – different flavors not mixed together and cut up into small reward sized pieces
- Efficient system for food delivery – ie: training vest, treat pouch, etc. Things that won’t work: Manufacturer’s bag, zip lock bag, containers, etc. Reinforcement MUST be on your person available for easy and efficient access during each training exercise. No Exceptions.
- Long Line – at least 15 ft – NO Retractable leashes.
- Dog should be on a Flat Collar or harness. No choke collars, no head collars. Please call us if you use any other gear for your dog.
- Dog’s favorite toys, at least 2 AND a way to have them on your person – ie: training vest or kilt.
- Bowl for water
- Mat (yoga mat, towel, etc.)
- All skills in Obedience – Level 1 and Obedience – Level 2
- 2 paws on a perch
- Offered attention
- Name Response under some distraction
This is NOT a beginner course. NO REACTIVE DOGS.
If you are not sure if you meet the minimum requirements, please give us a call. If you enroll in Obedience – Level 3 and you and your dog are found to NOT meet the minimum requirements you will be transferred to an appropriate class.