- AVSAB Position Statements
These position statements were developed through the cooperation of the members of the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) and reflect the opinion of this association on a variety of topics related to the field of animal behavior.
- Puppy Socialization
This statement hopes to increase awareness of the need for socialization in puppies and raise the issue of how vaccination protocols affect the socialization process in puppy classes.
- The Use of Punishment for Behavior Modification in Animals
This statement focuses on the use of punishment in the training of animals and the learning theories that exist which put the use of punishment into proper perspective.
- Dominance Position Statement
This statement has been developed for the purpose of clarifying how AVSAB views the theory of dominance relationships between animals. We also hope that it helps to dispel some myths that have recently become more prevalent among some who work in this field.
- Puppy Socialization
- Puppy Training Resources from The Pet Professional Guild
Getting a puppy can be exciting and frustrating. Puppies are delightful, cute, funny and highly entertaining. Unfortunately, they do not come with an owner’s manual. We are changing all of that. This page provides information on what we believe are the most important skills you and your puppy must master.
- Housebreaking Hints
- Crate Training
- Kathy Sdao, CAAB and Dr. James Ha
From the Seattle Times. Experts Dr. James Ha and Kathy Sdao. He is a research associate professor in the psychology department’s animal-behavior program at the University of Washington and a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist. She has a master’s in comparative cognition from the University of Hawaii, is a former zookeeper at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, and owns Bright Spot Dog Training in Tacoma.
- Tufts Behavior ClinicTuft’s Animal Behavior Clinic successfully treats many common animal behavior problems, including aggression, anxiety, compulsive disorders, species-typical behaviors, and nuisance behaviors. Treatment typically involves a combination of behavior modification for pets and management changes for owners.
- Doggone Safe – Bite Prevention and Safety Resource
Doggone Safe is a US-based 501(c)3 non-profit with over 1400 members in more than 30 countries. Our goal is the education of safe human-canine interactions to prevent dog bites that can ultimately lead to serious and life altering ramifications for both people and their pets.
- Dog Star Daily
DogStarDaily.com is a free website for dog lovers — a daily magazine with news, blogs, and articles about dog behavior, and a comprehensive digital dog training textbook with everything you need to know about training your puppy or dog.