This class is designed to help you reach YOUR goals and develop your Perfect Family Dog.
In our Basic Obedience Level 2 class, you will build on the foundation behaviors your dog learned in Basic Obedience Level 1.
Your dog will learn:
- Reliable Name Response: A reliable name response is crucial. Introducing much more exciting distractions and really getting a snappy Name Response.
- Really Reliable Recall: A reliable recall is important for every dog in every situation. For maximum safety, for maximum enrichment and off leash freedom a reliable recall is needed. Introducing exciting distractions, increased criteria and getting an immediate response for a very fast recall.
- Sit & Stay, Down & Stay: Teaching your dog to stay in position under higher levels of distraction, including you moving further away from your dog.
- Calm & Polite Greetings: Your dog will learn to sit or stand calmly to be greeted, or while you greet another person and possibly another person and dog.
- Loose Leash Walking: Teaching your dog to walk next to you in any situation insures a lovely walk in the park, around the neighborhood or even a great experience at events or field trips. This class offers higher levels of distraction, walking side by side with another dog, passing another dog and walking in patterns all the while retaining focus from your dog.
- Hand Target: Learn to use this behavior as a reward, get some enthusiasm and keep your dog’s engagement.
- Leave It: Increased criteria of moving away from the Leave It item, Leave It items that move, and more.
- Offered Focus: Teach your dog to check in with you often under distraction and without being asked.
- Go To Mat: Teach your dog to go to a mat or designated obstacle (raised bed, mat, etc) and remain there.
- Introduction to Heel: Teach your dog the difference between Loose Leash Walking and Heel. Heel is a focused activity where your dog is right next to you and attentive to you.
- Collar Cues: Teach your dog to respond to cues that you deliver through the collar or leash.
You will learn:
- How to develop an advanced plan for any situation.
- How to use Luring & Shaping to get behavior.
- Advanced food management techniques to promote eventually NOT having to have food on you for training.
- Leash Handling techniques.
- Advanced Games and reward strategies that will keep your dog enthusiastic about learning.
This class is a must for those who are interested in Therapy Dog certification or Canine Good Citizen certification. It is also a great refresher for those who’ve completed Basic Obedience training in the past, but would like to improve on their skills.
Minimum behavior requirements needed to start Basic Obedience Level 2:
- All skills from Obedience – Level 1
- Ability to work around other dogs
- Sit & Down with a verbal cue
- 15 second Stay in Sit or Down
- Basic Leash Skills – Leash Handling and Leash Walking
- Understanding Marker Training
Please Note: If you have taken Obedience classes with another training facility, we require that you take our Orientation Class before starting this course. It’s important that we have the opportunity to insure that you are enrolling in the right Pack of Paws course. If you cannot make the orientation due to your schedule, please call our office and Ashley will help you.
If you are not sure if you meet the minimum requirements, please give us a call. If you enroll in Obedience – Level 2 and you and your dog are found to NOT meet the minimum requirements you will be transferred to an appropriate class.