- Obedience that will pass CGC. OR CGC certification within the past 90 days. At least 6 weeks prior experience in a group class environment where dividers were not used or needed.
- Accepting a friendly stranger – no jumping up on or getting too excited about
- Sitting Politely for Petting – no jumping up on or getting too excited about
- Appearance and Grooming – need to be able to touch ears, feet, top of head
- Out for a Walk (walking on a loose lead) – Loose Leash or Heel required without training gear
- Walking Through a Crowd – no jumping up on or getting too excited about
- Sit and Down on Command and Staying in Place – from 15 or more feet
- Coming When Called – from 15 or more feet with distraction
- Reaction to Another Dog – needs to be completely neutral and dismissive of other dogs
- Reaction to Distraction – can look in the direction of but must recover and defer back to owner immediately
- Supervised Separation – not required for the Therapy Dog Evaluation but is required for CGC test.
No Reactive Dogs! Dogs must be neutral about other dogs and friendly toward all people.
This is not an entry level class. If you do not meet the minimum requirements, you will not be able to return until you are able to meet the minimum requirements. No refunds or reschedule dates for those who do not meet the minimum requirements.
What class covers:
- Being a spectacular Therapy Dog Team
- Advocating for your dog in a highly distracting environment
- Recognizing stress in your Therapy Dog during visits and what to do
- Using the obedience you and your dog have trained during visits and increasing criteria
- Handling the highly distracting environments of a busy facility as a team
- Prepping for the Pet Partners Therapy Dog Evaluation
About your trainer, Tammy Warren:
Tammy is an occupational therapist and has used her dogs in her work for 20 years.
Tammy has been a member of Pet Partners for 20 years and has been an evaluator for 15 years. Tammy is kind, passionate and a brilliant trainer.
As an honor graduate of our Pack of Paws Professional Dog Training Program, Tammy is bringing her Occupational Therapist training, Therapy Dog Training and Professional Dog Trainer Education together and to a new level. Tammy ran Therapy Dog classes at Noah’s Ark Pet Shop 14 years ago and has continued her relationship with Pack of Paws for that long including regular Therapy Dog Evaluations.