Tasks are behaviors that a dog is trained to do reliably — exactly like sitting or going into a down stay on command. To be considered a task, a dog must execute a command (or behavior) promptly and on cue in almost every situation.
Service dogs are dogs that have been individually trained to perform a specific task for individuals who have disabilities. The disabilities can vary greatly, and so do the tasks that the service dogs perform.
However — your dog does not have to be a service dog for you to benefit from teaching them tricks and tasks!
Training tricks and tasks with your dog:
- Builds focus and attention in your distracted dog
- Helps you strengthen trust with a nervous or shy dog
- Challenges your dog both physically and mentally
- Can prevent boredom and reduce destructive behavior
Some examples of service dog tasks that can be useful for any owner are:
- Retrieving dropped items
- Retrieving named items (phone, keys, leash, etc.)
- Opening/closing doors
- Holding doors open so handler can pass through
- Tugging clothing to help with removal (outerwear, socks)
- Turning lights on/off
- Depositing garbage into can
- Carrying mail from mailbox to house
- Dropping recycling into bin
- Putting items onto countertop
- Unload laundry from dryer
- Putting away their dog toys
In our Tricks & Tasks class, you will learn how to teach your dog to perform specific tasks or tricks, troubleshoot training challenges, and break down tasks into smaller skills.
Before you attend, your dog must know the basic obedience commands: come, down, sit, name response, leash manners.
No reactive dogs.
Optional: Earn your AKC Trick Dog Title! All dogs are welcome to participate, including mixed breeds. If you have a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certificate or title on record at AKC, you may count the CGC as 5 of the required tricks for the NOVICE TRICK DOG TITLE!
This class is Open Enrollment which means that you can start anytime and continue for as long as you want. Our students will all work at their own pace.
Open Enrollment classes means you can start any time! BUT, once you are enrolled, classes are consecutive and missed classes means missed lessons without the opportunity for make up except as noted in our Policies.
If you have any questions, please contact us.