Our Path to the Perfect Family Dog Program
Our Perfect Family Dog Obedience class offers individualized training within a group class for convenience and value.
Following our Path to the Perfect Family Dog program, your dog will master all of the skills needed to become an excellent canine companion, both at home and in public. As an owner, you will gain the confidence and knowledge to handle nearly any situation that you might encounter.
Each step in the program focuses on a different set of life skills. You and your dog will be able to demonstrate all of the skills in each group before moving on to the next skill group. You may take as many classes as needed to learn all of the skills in each skill group.
Start any time, progress at your own pace.. and when life gets busy, take a week or two off. Classes are tailored so that you can continue to attend until you’ve mastered the skills that are a priority for you and your lifestyle.
Skill Group #1: Focus & Motivation
Exercises in skill group #1 are performed with little to no distraction
- Follow a food lure into any position
- Follow a hand gesture into any position
- Hand Target at 6 different positions: Left center/high/low and Right center/high/low
Listen to Me!
- Name Response
- Dog looks at handler and maintains focus until released
- Come When Called
- Dog returns to handler upon hearing the recall word
There’s a SMILE in that leash!
- Loose leash walking with little to no distraction
- Sit in front, Sit in heel with hand and/or voice cue but no food lure.
- Down in front, down on mat with hand and/or voice cue but no food lure.
- Dog learns to leave food/objects until they are given the item
Skill Group #2: Impulse Control
Exercises in skill group #2 are performed with moderate distraction and longer duration
Down and sit on one cue
- Verbal cue or hand gesture only. No lure.
- Duration of 60 seconds in between rewards
- Handler is 10 ft from the dog with distraction passing by
- Leave a treat alone for 30 seconds in between rewards
- Remain focused in Heel position for 100 ft of walking with distractions passing by
Go to Mat and Settle
- Settle on a mat or blanket for 2 minutes with moderate distractions
- Dog can fluently respond to gentle pressure on the collar with the leash and with hand on the collar
Paws on any target
- Dog can fluently put his paws on any target you gesture to and remain focused for 30 seconds
Skill Group #3: Real life and Distractions
Exercises in skill group #3 are performed with variable and real-life rewards and moderate to heavy distraction
- Perform all Canine Good Citizen exercises
- Stays with duration
- Polite greetings
- Come when called
- Loose Leash Walking
- Go to your mat
- On-lead heeling across training center in groups
At the end of this program, your dog will know how to make good choices, listen to you for directions, and have all of the skills necessary to be the Perfect Family Dog.