There is nothing more frustrating than a dog who doesn’t come when called. Having reliable recall is one of the most important basic obedience skills, but it is also one of the hardest skills to teach for owners.
Having the ability to call your dog to you can prevent a number of dangerous and life threatening situations such as:
- Being hit by a car
- Running away
- Roaming off-trail
- Approaching an aggressive dog
- Interacting with wildlife
- Engaging in dog fights at the dog park
Our Come When Called class uses simple interactive games to teach your dog how to come when you call them, making recall fun and exciting for your pup!
Join our Come When Called class to learn techniques for teaching your dog to come when he is called, RELIABLY!
Things to bring:
- Dogs should be wearing a collar or harness. No slip or choke collars please, and no head collars. If your dog wears a prong collar for control, please have an additional harness or flat collar for the recall work.
- TONS of your dog’s favorite treats. Suggested items include: packaged treats, people food like cheese, steak, chicken or other left overs. Bring a large amount and several varieties of awesome food. We will be working in a field and there will be no treats or food available for sale if you run out.
- A way to manage your treats – ie., training kilt, treat pouch, training vest. Pockets will be inadequate and you won’t be able to work out of a zip lock baggie.
- Your dog’s favorite toys. (more than one)
- Regular 6 ft leash that you walk your dog on. NO RETRACTABLE LEASHES.
- Long leash (not a retractable). Minimum 20 ft, longer is welcome.
- A whistle if you want to teach your dog a whistle recall.
- A sense of humor
If you will need help with your dog’s gear, please contact us and arrange to arrive early.
No Reactive Dogs – Dogs must be friendly toward other dogs and people
Dogs should know their own name and respond reliably to it